I came to ANU in July 2011. I was awarded BSc(Hons, 1st class) in 2012 and received PhD in Psychology in 2015. My PhD research has been devoted to understanding the impacts of ambiguous information on causal reasoning and how people may treat ambiguous observations. My current research focuses on (1) developing a new family of distributions for modelling double bounded random variables, and (2) understanding judgment and decision making under uncertainty. I am also conducting collaborative research with international researchers on cross-group measurement invariance.
Some of my recent research topics include:
- Causal reasoning under ambiguity
- Probabilistic reasoning in moral dilemmas
- Cross-cultural measurement invariance of psychological assessments
- Modelling doubly bounded random variables
More information: Personal Website
- Reasoning, judgment and decision making under uncertainty
- Causal reasoning with ambiguous information
- Decision making in moral dilemmas
- Probability judgment under uncertainty
- Statistical and measurement issues in psychology
- Generalized linear models
- multi-group measurement invariance
- Response styles
- Shou, Y., and Smithson, M. (Accepted). cdfquantreg: An R package for CDF-Quantile Regression. Journal of Statistical Software.
- Wang, M., Shou, Y., Deng, Q., Sellbom, M., Salekin, R.T., and Gao, Y. (in press). Factor Structure and Construct Validity of the Levenson Self-Report Psychopathy Scale (LSRP) in a Sample of Chinese Male Inmates. Psychological Assessment.
- Yan, Y., Rieger, E., and Shou, Y. (in press). Reducing the stigma associated with anorexia nervosa: An evaluation of a social consensus intervention among Australian and Chinese young women. International Journal of Eating Disorders. doi:10.1002/eat.22808.
- Shou, Y., and Song, F. (2017). Decisions in moral dilemmas: The influence of subjective beliefs in outcome probabilities. Judgment and Decision Making, 12(5), 481-490.
- Shou, Y., Sellbom, M., and Xu, J. (2017). Psychometric properties of the Triarchic Psychopathy Measure: An item response theory approach. Personality Disorders: Theory, Research, and Treatment. doi:10.1037/per0000241
- Smithson, M., Shou, Y and Yu, A. (2017). Question word-order influences on covariate effects: predicting zero-sum beliefs. Behaviormetrika. doi:10.1007/s41237-017-0030-z
- Smithson, M. and Shou, Y (2017). CDF-Quantile probability distributions for modeling random variables on the unit interval. British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology. doi:10.1111/bmsp.12091
- Walsh, E. W., Shou, Y Han, J., and Brinker, J. (2017). Development and validation of a Chinese Language Version of the Ruminative Thought Styles Questionnaire. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment.
- Shou, Y, Sellbom, M., Xu, J., Chen, T., & Sui, A. (2016). Elaborating on the Construct Validity of Triarchic Psychopathy Measure in Chinese Clinical and Nonclinical Samples. Psychological Assessment. doi: 10.1037/pas0000398
- Shou, Y, Sellbom, M., & Han, J., (2016). Development and Validation of the Chinese Triarchic Psychopathy Measure. Journal of Personality Disorders, 30(4), 436-450. doi: 10.1521/pedi.2016.30.4.436
- Smithson, M & Shou, Y. (2016), Moderator effects differ on alternative effect-size measures. Behavior Research Methods
- Shou, Y, Sellbom, M., & Han, J., (2016). Evaluating the Construct Validity of the Levenson’s Self-Report Psychopathy Scale in China. Assessment. doi:10.1177/1073191116637421
- Shou, Y. & Smithson, M. (2016). Causal Reasoning under Ambiguity: An Illustration of Modelling Mixture Strategies. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making
- Han, J., Batterham, P. J., Calear, A. L., Wu, Y., Shou, Y., & van Spijker, B. A. J. (2016). Translation and Validation of the Chinese Versions of the Suicidal Ideation Attributes Scale, Stigma of Suicide Scale, and Literacy of Suicide Scale. Death Studies. doi: 10.1080/07481187.2016.1214633
- Smithson, M & Shou, Y. (2016), Asymmetries in Responses to Attitude Statements: The Example of “Zero-Sum” Beliefs. Frontiers in Psychology, section Quantitative Psychology and Measurement, 7, 984.
- Shou, Y. & Smithson, M. (2015). cdfquantreg: Quantile Regression for Random Variables on the Unit Interval (R package version 1.0.0). http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=cdfquantreg
- Shou, Y. & Smithson, M. (2015) Adapting to an uncertain world: Cognitive capacity and causal reasoning with ambiguous observations. PLoS ONE 10(10): e0140608. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0140608.
- Shou, Y & Smithson, M (2015), 'Effects of question formats on causal judgments and model evaluation', Frontiers in Psychology, Frontiers in psychology, 6-467. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00467
- Shou, Y & Song, F (2015), 'Moral reasoning as probability reasoning', In D. C. Noelle, R. Dale, A. S. Warlaumont, J. Yoshimi, T. Matlock, C. D. Jennings, & P. P. Maglio(Eds.), Proceedings of the 37th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2176-2180). Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
- Shou, Y & Smithson, M (2015), 'Evaluating Predictors of Dispersion: A Comparison of Dominance Analysis and Bayesian Model Averaging', Psychometrika, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 236-256.
- Shou, Y & Smithson, M (2015), 'Modelling causal reasoning under ambiguity', In D. C. Noelle, R. Dale, A. S. Warlaumont, J. Yoshimi, T. Matlock, C. D. Jennings, & P. P. Maglio(Eds.), Proceedings of the 37th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2170-2175)., Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
- Smithson, M & Shou, Y (2014), 'Randomly stopped sums: Models and psychological applications', Frontiers in Psychology, 5:1279. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2014.01279
- Shou, Y & Smithson, M (2014), 'Working memory and causal reasoning under Ambiguity', In P. Bello, M. Guarini, M. McShane, & B. Scassellati ( Eds. ), Proceedings of the 36th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society. Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.